Welcome to My Skinny Chick Diary

You have just opened the pages of my "Skinny Chick" diary. You will read the words of wisdom from my (and your) inner "Skinny Chick". You may be surprised at what you read. This diary recounts my journey as my "inner" Skinny Chick meets my new "outer" skinny chick. How does this transformation actually happen? Read and you will find out how listening to your inner "Skinny Chick" can transform you too.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Back for the Second Time

Hello everyone! I'm back! I know, I can't stay away this long. How long has it been? Well, about 10 or 11 months. You know what's happened in that time? I had a baby!!! Yup, that's right a beautiful baby boy. My first baby. What a blessing! I am so excited to be a mom and I am so ready for the journey.


 My baby, EJ, all dressed to go on a run with Mommy
(If you want to read more about my adventures with EJ visit The Mommy Diaries: Book of EJ)
 

Some of you may be thinking, "Wow, that's so awesome, but what about her weight-loss?' Or maybe, "Is she still a "skinny chick?" Ok so maybe you aren't thinking that and those are just the voices inside of my head. But, I still feel obligated to answer those questions. What about my weight-loss, well let's see...I gained about 35 pounds during my pregnancy which was within the healthy amount of weight-gain for pregnancy according to doctors.

 
Here I am at 39 weeks and 3 days (about ready to pop)
 

I can honestly say that I am pleasantly surprised about how great I looked and felt during my pregnancy. You always hear those horror stories about women who have gained an obscene amount of weight during their pregnancies and are virtually unrecognizable. I was prepared for that to be me. As someone who has struggled with her weight, I always tend to think the worst in that area. But, like I said, thankfully that was not the case. I made sure of it too, because when I first learned that I was pregnant I listened to my INNER SKINNY CHICK and she told me to continue with my normal habits and routines. Do not use pregnancy as a pass to forget all that you have learned and the lifestyle that you have grown accustomed to. So that's exactly what I did. I continued to remain active. (As active as I could later in the pregnancy.) But, most importantly, I made the decision that I would NOT STOP journaling all of the food that I ate daily. When people found out that I was doing this, they thought that I was crazy. "What?," they would say. "But, you're eating for two. You can have what ever you want." I quickly reminded them that I was eating for two, but not two adults! They had no choice but to agree with that. I worked really hard to keep journaling throughout my entire pregnancy. I am proud to say that I accomplished that.
 
So where am I now? Am I still a "skinny chick?" Well, it has been almost 10 weeks since I had my adorable little man and I still have about 10-15 pounds to lose. I have to admit, it has been a lot harder this time around to lose the weight. I knew that it wouldn't just "fall off," but I thought, given how careful I had been with my eating, that I wouldn't have to work this hard. I started going back to Weight Watchers meetings 3 weeks after my baby was born. I knew that Weight Watchers was the only thing that was going to work for me, since it worked so well for me before. I had to go back to basics. This time around my weight-loss journey has been a lot slower. Granted, I didn't have as much weight to lose this time, but it seems to be taking FOREVER. I lose weight one week and gain a little the next. This seems to be a pattern for me. Although, overall I am losing weight, it is just a very frustrating process. It's even more frustrating when you know you have lost this weight before and NONE of your old clothes fit and you are left with wearing maternity pants until the weight comes off.
 
I knew that once I got clearance from my doctor to begin activity, that would surely ramp up my weight-loss efforts. Not so much. Still very, very slow. I made a commitment to myself that I would register for the Peachtree Road Race (an annual 10K race in Atlanta that happens on July 4th). I have done that and begun my training. I knew this, too, was going to be challenging. I hadn't run in almost a year and in a couple of months my goal was to able to run 6.2 miles. Am I insane?? I guess I thought that since I ran a 1/2 marathon for the first time in 2012 and I did that in the same year that I ran my first 10K that this would be no different. I am on my way in my training, but not without my challenges and bumps in the road. There have been days where I have wanted to give up and say there is no way I will be ready in July. The great thing is I have an accountability partner, my husband, who is training with me. We trained together for the 1/2 marathon so it seemed only right for us to do this together as well. He keeps me focused and helps me keep everything in perspective. I am a new mom, it's only been 10 weeks since the birth of my son, and I just started back at work. I have to listen to my INNER SKINNY CHICK when she says to be patient with myself. This weight took 9 months to gain, it will not come off overnight.
 
 My husband and I at the finish line of the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving Day 2012
 




1 comment:

  1. Very encouraging! You are one of the most focused people I know and I'm thoroughly convinced you WILL reach your goal! Thank you for your transparency.

    ReplyDelete