Welcome to My Skinny Chick Diary

You have just opened the pages of my "Skinny Chick" diary. You will read the words of wisdom from my (and your) inner "Skinny Chick". You may be surprised at what you read. This diary recounts my journey as my "inner" Skinny Chick meets my new "outer" skinny chick. How does this transformation actually happen? Read and you will find out how listening to your inner "Skinny Chick" can transform you too.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

We're Gonna Make a Change

Life is all about change and evolving or growing as a person. The longer you live, the more changes you experience. So is it safe to assume that all you have to do is let time pass and you will see change in your life? If you are referring to changes in technology or progression in society, then maybe the answer is "Yes." But, if you are talking about change from within or a "lifestyle" change, the answer is "No."

This fact remains: In order for one to actually see behavioral changes in their life, their BEHAVIOR must change. You can't keep engaging in the same behaviors and expect a different result. My Inner Skinny Chick says: In order to live the type of lifestyle no one else seems to be living, you've got to do the the things no one else seems to be doing.

At the beginning of each of my Weight Watchers meetings, I check in with my members about their past week and ask them if there was anything that they were proud of that they accomplished that doesn't have anything to do with the number they saw on the scale. I ask them this for two reasons:

1. Focusing on non-scale victories takes the "weight" off the scale. There are many factors that can affect the number you see on the scale. It should not be the only indicator of a successful week. 
2. Giving yourself a specific goal for the week like, I will try a new work-out, I will cook a new recipe or I will bring my lunch everyday this week, helps "lock-in" healthy habits that are necessary for true "lifestyle" change.

Why not spend our time thinking of different weekly goals we can set for ourselves instead of obsessing over the number on the scale. You'll be surprised. If you do this, you will begin to form habits and change your behavior. The icing on the cake is that the number on the scale will naturally begin to drop as these changes are implemented into your life.

What "non-scale" victories are you proud of? Have you seen a change in your behavior by implementing any goals for yourself?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." 
-Mahatma Gandhi

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! How would you suggest conveying this to a friend that has stopped going to meetings and joined online because they didn't get to see the number go down on the scale every week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the post! I would definitely continue to be suppotive of your friend. Just remind them about the non-scale goals they have achieved and how that is just as important as the number on the scale. Also, remind them of where they started and how they have come so far and that having a set-back is normal and okay. A set-back is only a set up for a comeback!

    ReplyDelete